Thursday, June 10, 2010

Warren Zevon


Warren Zevon

Well, I went home with the waitress
The way I always do
How was I to know
She was with the Russians, too

I was gambling in Havana
I took a little risk
Send lawyers, guns and money
Dad, get me out of this

I'm the innocent bystander
Somehow I got stuck
Between the rock and the hard place
And I'm down on my luck
And I'm down on my luck
And I'm down on my luck

Now I'm hiding in Honduras
I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns and money
The shit has hit the fan

Send lawyers, guns and money...

Somehow the years keep rolling by, and I hope I never take those years for granted, but enjoy them one day at a time. One of my favorite artists had a great time living and lived everyday as fully as he could. Eventually his excess with cigarettes claimed him, but Warren Zevon didn't give a shit. It was his life, and he lived it as fully as Warren Zevon could. I'm looking forward to creating a play list for the Flat Out 5K on June 26th. Warren Zevon will be prominent on my play list.

Once upon a time I was like Zevon. I smoked three packs a day, easily. Knowing he was terminal, Warren Zevon would sneak out and catch a smoke. I know how it is, and for this reason, I am dedicating mile 23 to Warren Zevon. Send lawyers, guns, and money. Hey!
5K

1 comment:

  1. Cigarettes didn't kill Warren Zevon. He died of mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining of the lungs. The only known cause of meso is exposure to asbestos. Even a tiny, tiny particle can lodge in your lungs and kill you years later. In Zevon's case, it may be traced to his father's carpet store. Warren's son, Jordan Zevon, is the national spokesperson for the Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization and you can see his statement about his father's death on their web site (www.asbestosdiseaseawarenbess.org). RIP, Warren.

    ReplyDelete

Followers